FAQ / Contact
Here we answer frequently asked questions from our customers.
Frequently asked questions
- Can I buy tickets and commuter passes with a credit card?
- You cannot purchase tickets with a credit card.
You can only purchase commuter passes with a credit card at Commuter Ticket Office at Hamamatsucho Station (7:00 to 19:30).
- How can I purchase a commuter pass with a credit card?
- You can pay with a credit card in a lump-sum. Neither payments in installments, revolving repayments, nor bonus payments are accepted.
- Can I buy tickets with large bills?
- Yes, you can purchase tickets at ticket machines compatible with large bills.
- Can I buy Monorail tickets in advance?
- Major travel agencies (JTB, Nippon Travel Agency, Kinki Nippon Tourist) and other places handle such sales, depending on office location. To find out if you can make advance purchases, please contact individual offices.
- Can I buy transfer tickets and commuter passes for the Rinkai Line?
- You can purchase transfer tickets from ticket machines at each of our stations.
You can purchase transfer commuter passes at Monorail commuter pass machines (at Hamamatsucho Station, Haneda Airport Terminal 1 Station and Haneda Airport Terminal 2 Station).
- Can I buy transfer tickets for the Oedo Line?
- You cannot purchase transfer tickets. We are in negotiations with the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Bureau of Transportation regarding transfer tickets.
You can purchase transfer commuter passes. Commuter passes can be bought at Monorail commuter pass machines (at Hamamatsucho Station, Haneda Airport Terminal 1 Station and Haneda Airport Terminal 2 Station).
- What are the ages for child fares?
- From ages 6 to 11. Elementary school students use child fares.
- Can I bring pets aboard the monorail?
- Small animals can be brought aboard if they are placed in a container no more than 250cm around the largest portion.
- Are there reserved seats or cars on the monorail?
- The monorail is all free seating. There are no reserved seats.
- Tell me about discounts for people with disabilities.
- For those carrying a Grade 1 Disability Certificate, both the holder and caregiver receives a 50% discount off of normal fares. For those carrying a Grade 2 Disability Certificate, only the holder receives a 50% discount off of normal fares. All stations other than Showajima Station handle disability discount tickets. Some stations offices may be closed depending on their hours. If the offices are closed, feel free to ask the station staff for assistance.
- Please tell me about group discounts.
Conditions for group discounts:
- All passengers board and ride the train together to the same destination.
- Groups of 15 or more students have an attached instructor and the student group is led by that instructor.
- Groups of 15 or more are led by a representative holding responsibility.
For group fares, please see the fares page.
* For refund information, click here.
- I have multiple-trip tickets left over. Can I refund them?
- Yes, if they are still valid. However, a ¥220 service fee will be charged.
- What about refunds for commuter passes?
If the commuter pass is no longer necessary, refunds are made per month. If there is a change of section, refunds are made per period of ten days. Refunds require a ¥220 fee. Refunds vary by the date which they are made. For further information please contact the number below.
Tokyo Monorail Co., Ltd. Sales Department 03-5470-3829 (8:50am - 5:30pm weekdays other than holidays)
- Refunding tickets (ordinary, unused ticket refunds)
- Valid, unused tickets can be refunded less a fee.
- Where can I use the Monorail Suica?
- Monorail Suica cards can be used in Suica-compatible areas in Greater Tokyo (for railways and buses) as well as the Sendai area, Niigata area, JR Hokkaido Kitaca-compatible areas, JR Tokai TOICA-compatible areas, JR West ICOCA-compatible areas, JR Kyushu SUGOCA-compatible areas, nimoca-compatible areas and Fukuoka City Transportation Bureau Hayakaken-compatible areas. Monorail Suica cards can also be used for e-money at e-money participating stores.
- What area can I buy a Monorail commuter pass for?
- You can purchase commuter passes covering only the Monorail line, or transfer passes that connect to the JR lines, Rinkai Line, Keikyu lines, the Toei Subway lines, and other private lines. (Commuter passes are not available for all areas above.)
- Can I add money (charge) onto my card anywhere?
- Adding (charging) money to Monorail Suica cards can be done at ticket machines with the Suica mark, fare adjustment machines, and anywhere you can use the Monorail Suica.
- Can I get a refund anywhere?
- Monorail Suica cards sold by Tokyo Monorail can only be refunded at Tokyo Monorail offices. In addition, Monorail Suica commuter pass refunds are only handled at Monorail Hamamatsucho Station and Haneda Airport Terminal 1 Station offices (including expired commuter passes). *We do not handle refunds for IC pass cards other than Monorail Suica cards, so please contact the issuing company for refunds.
- Can I change my Monorail Suica card into a Monorail My Suica card?
You can do so at all Monorail stations. Please ask an attendant. The card itself, however, will be changed. The amount of credit (charge) on the card will remain the same. You must return your old card.
- * Please be aware that limited edition Monorail Suica cards must also be returned in these cases.
- How can I purchase a Monorail My Suica for children?
The Monorail My Suica for children is sold at all Tokyo Monorail stations. Please fill out the necessary information on the "Commuter pass/Monorail My Suica Application" and identification for the child (health insurance card, etc.). Please ask a station attendant.
Please be aware that only one Monorail My Suica for children or Kids PASMO may be owned at one time. You cannot purchase one if you already own a Monorail My Suica for children, a Monorail Suica commuter pass for children, or a Kids PASMO.
- How many ticket gates do Haneda Airport International Terminal Station, Haneda Airport Terminal 1 Station and Haneda Airport Terminal 2 Station have?
Each as two gate locations. Please look at the station map for each station for details.
- Wheelchairs and motorized wheelchairs
- Station staff will help those using wheelchairs on and off the train. For those transferring between JR Lines and the Monorail Line, JR and Monorail staff will cooperate to assist you.
- How long does it take to get from Monorail Hamamatsucho Station to Haneda Airport International Terminal Station, Haneda Airport Terminal 1 Station and Haneda Airport Terminal 2 Station?
By Haneda Express, it takes 13 minutes to get to Haneda Airport International Terminal Station, 17 minutes to get to Haneda Airport Terminal 1 Station and 19 minutes to get to Haneda Airport Terminal 2 Station.
Please see the Haneda Airport Guide for details on required times and other information.
- I want to know how many people ride the Monorail.
- Please see the Institution for Transport Policy Studies' book "Rail Fact Book" for data on different companies' transport statistics.